Thursday, June 25, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up: Week 4 - The One with Seeds, Sunsets and Strawberries

Another week with the kids visiting Nannie and Grandpa Lobster. Another week of quiet downtime, coming and going with few obligations. Another week of puttering around the yard, planning school, fishing, reading, and crocheting. It's a hard life, but someone has to do it!

I replanted the garden. I sowed more pie pumpkins, weird yellow-skinned cucumbers, wax beans, and Snow peas. With the help of Jake, we covered the garden over with wire to keep out snacking chickens and wild birds. (Those yellow-and-black Goldfinches are pretty though...) And I fertilized with an organic mixture from the hardware store. I have to say: That stuffed SMELLED something awful! Does that mean it'll work well?



I had to be creative with watering the garden though. Who wants to stand there for-ever? I have crocheting to do and books to read and sweet tea to sip.



We fished when we could. Unfortunately the trolling motor we bought used has some, um, issues, and with time constraints we just headed out to fish from shore. We've yet to actually catch a fish, but the serene late afternoons are so worth the effort. Just look at these photos! NO editing whatsoever. (Only my name added.)






As soon as the farm opened up for strawberry picking, my step-kids and I were there. I don't think many people knew they opened U Pick early because we had the field to ourselves. We ended up getting about 9 pounds or so of juicy, fragrant strawberries. I've been making meals of strawberries and cream. Nothing better than farm fresh, just picked berries!


I helped a stunned Hermit Thrush. I'm assuming it flew into one of our windows as I found it breathing, but feet up in front of our door. When it didn't move after 10 minutes, I picked it up with an old towel placing in on my outdoor table under the trees. Thrush like to hang out in the "understory" of forests. It was another 20 minutes before it was able to fly away.


Next week? We're heading down to pick up the kids. We've missed them. The house will again be noisy and there will be never-ending dirty dishes in the sink. We'll be signing up for the summer reading program at the library, having lunch at the Rec Center, swimming at the lake, and starting summer studies.

As always, special thanks to these bloggers for their weekly homeschool blog link-ups. Click on over to see what other homeschoolers are doing!

 photo 337a3ef2-b881-48f4-8a2c-9c69e457cb5b_zps8b6152cf.pngHomegrown LearnersWeird Unsocialized Homeschoolers

"When one teaches, two learn." - Robert Heinlein

12 comments:

  1. What a restful and fulfilling week. Next week sounds good too. I am glad the bird was okay.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Dawn, even though you were busy with an historical vacation. Summer is in full swing! But it doesn't mean the learning stops...

      Delete
  2. Our kids have never been away from home... we all mostly live right in the same town. I was thinking last night that I should water the garden tomorrow (now today). But we are getting rain now! God is good! :)
    Glad you had a nice quiet week! But I know you are looking forward to your kiddos coming back! Have a great weekend Jessy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're back! The house is noisy and messy again! I could do without the mess, but it comes with the kids, right? My garden could use some sun. We've had a lot of rain lately. The new seeds have sprouted though...

      Delete
  3. What a super post, Jessy! I enjoyed reading every second of it. LOVE the creative garden watering!! Ha, ha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicole! Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...and I was not going to stand there holding that hose! LOL

      Delete
  4. Beautiful pictures and wonderfully relaxing week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, Christy, but now back to regular summer life...which isn't so bad either!

      Delete
  5. The scenery around you is gorgeous! We used to love strawberry picking when we lived in IL, but now that we've moved to AZ, we haven't found a good place.

    Hope you have another good week. Visiting from Weekly Wrap Up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Melissa! I tried to find your blog through your profile, but nothing is listed. :/

      Delete
  6. What a lovely week you had! Did I miss the wedding? I'm assuming you got married already by your profile. Are we going to get to see pics?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I did get married! Mother's Day! But I decided not to share too many photos here on my blog...

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!