Monday, June 29, 2015

Creative Crochet: Cell Phone Cases

Well, it's back to working on my son's ripple blanket. The end has been in sight for a while, but I've been inspired with too many other smaller, fun projects lately. You should see my GROWING Pinterest boards! I think I'm up to 10 dedicated to crochet...

 Anyhoo, I'm ready to wrap up the blanket and start thinking about the next one. My hope is to make a blanket for each of my 5 kids, something for them to snuggle with during long Maine winters and a keepsake as they grow older. I have blankets from my grandmother and they'll always have a special place in my heart.

But before I pulled his blanket back out, I made some cell phone cases using this pattern as a guideline from Dabbles & Babbles, which I customized to fit the different sizes of phones that me and my friends have.

My first attempt was a case for me. I have to say that yarn blend, brand and type makes a huge difference! I really liked the colors of this yarn, but the looser strands made it "fuzzy" with use. I'm not digging the "fuzz" look and may make myself another using 100% soft acrylic instead.



When my friends saw my case, they jokingly asked for one for themselves. Lo and behold! Here's their cases! It's a super quick project that uses up some of those leftover smidgens of yarn from other projects. And you can't waste ANY yarn, right?


I'm liking the blue, purple and white case with the round purple button. The yarn is called I Love This Yarn from Hobby Lobby. It's 100% acrylic, but much softer than other acrylics I've used, and without that itchy feel. I may just replace my first case with one made of this yarn.

But back to that blanket...


I'm sharing my crocheting creations over at The Philosopher's Wife (Mondays)Lucy Blossom Crafts (Mondays), Small Things (Wednesdays), Oombawka Design (Wednesdays), Linda's Crafty Corner (Wednesdays), and Natural Suburbia (Fridays).

Get hooked! What are you creating?

15 comments:

  1. I like the fuzzy phone case and I love the button! I want to make quilts for my kids, I haven't got round to it yet :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by, Anna! I tried finding your blog through your profile, but it's set up as private so I am not able to visit. I'll try to find you through the link up...I do love that button! I bought it at Walmart and have been waiting for a project that I could use it on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love home made snuggle blankets, my dear mum made one for each of her grandchildren and great grandchildren, they are well used and well loved :)
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to do the same for my kids, Jan, and send each lid off as adults with something warm from Mom....I have 8 years to make 5 unique blankets!

      Delete
  4. Those cases are a great idea! I like all the different ones you've made :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They're great for using up small balls of leftover yarn (from other projects)!

      Delete
  5. The yarn cases are fab. My phone gets so cold in winter with it's metal case and really hot in summer. This is just the thing to fix that. Where did you get that fabulous button because I have a project that needs buttons just like that. I've been looking for ever for the right buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walmart! LOL In a 2 pack for until $2 (I believe).

      Delete
  6. Very cute yarn cases! What a great use of leftover yarns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I love small, quick projects that use up leftover yarn. We can't be wasting yarn!

      Delete
  7. I love these... My phone is so bashed up I really must get around to making one! #creativefridays

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are lovely and a great stash busting idea too, thanks for linking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great, my phone is always getting bashed in my pocket or lost in my bag.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for giving important information to training seekers,Keep posting useful information,Click below to find


    Customized Phone Cases

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful case for girls... but boys cant use it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!