Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Volume 224

1. June is National Great Outdoors Month. Have you spent any time appreciating the great outdoors this month? If so where, and if not do you have any plans to enjoy the great outdoors before the calendar turns?

I enjoy getting outside even if it's just to putter around the yard. I mow. I garden (kind of). I sit around a fire at night with my family. I watch and listen to the birds. But we also swim. We boat. We go for walks. All around town.

2. What's a current hot button issue for you?

Everyone picking up after themselves. Got a snack? Put away the "makings", wipe down the counter, do your dishes. Dirty clothing? Throw them in the hamper or clothes washer. Watched a movie? When you're finished, return the disc to its case and the bookshelf.  It seems I am forever picking up after others.

3. What's a food or treat that 'disappears like hotcakes' in your house?

Everything! I have a 16-year-old son who's 6'1" and built like a linebacker. A 13-year-old daughter who's 5'7 1/2". And a 10-year-old son who can keep up with his older brother eating. I think I'm going to have to go back to work to feed them!

4. How hot is too hot?

Anything over 85 degrees, 80 if it's humid. What the humidity has been doing to my curly hair...I'm in Maine. We do get temperatures over 80 degrees in the summer months, rarely over 90. I'd rather layer up in the cold than sweat from heat and humidity.

5. Do you have an artistic outlook on life? What does that mean to you?

Although I do consider myself creative, perhaps artistic, I think I'm more a realist with a splash of optimism when it comes to life.

6. What's one question you'd like to ask your father, or one you wish you could ask your father?

What in the world do you see in watching golf on TV...for  hours?

7. Something you learned from your father?

To have a sense of humor. Even if others don't get it. 

8.  Insert your own random thought here.


Join Joyce from From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge. Share in the randomness!

Happy Hodgepodging!

14 comments:

  1. So happy you are finding so much happiness with your new family. That is so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really, really blessed to have my family - my husband, our kids, family, church...surrounded by some great people!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love, love that quote I am always saying, "it is okay to be bored." Great answers, and tip for the picking up after others - don't. I tried it for a day when my kids were younger and by the end of the day they saw the messes and actually complained. I refused to clean it up since not one of them were mine. It worked, now they are grown and my house is just the way I like it, except for my husband, still a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure my kids would even notice the mess if there bedrooms are any indication! Perhaps the dishes if they had none to cook with or eat with...I'm not a perfectionist when it comes to cleaning, but the basics need to be done every day - dishes, trash, sweep, vacuum, laundry. And some of our best creative learning moments are when we're bored and need something to do! Oftentimes parents worry too much about kids being bored that we fill their days with activities. Let them be! They'll figure it out!

      Delete
  3. I'm a fan of that quote! I think so many kids are overly scheduled and need time to be bored. That's often where we discover our creativity and new interests. Good luck feeding your growing boys : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I've limited my kids to one regular activity each. There was a time when I juggled 3 kids with 2-4 activities EACH. I was never home...and we ALL need time at home!

      Delete
  4. GREAT quote! I sooo get what you're saying about the not picking up...drives me crazy!!! Our youngest is still at home, but his dad is just as bad as he is! I'm forever picking up their packaging from whatever they've eaten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately my husband picks up after himself and he's a role model for the other kids. Sometimes I wish THEY would notice! LOL Someday I'm going to miss the messes though...

      Delete
  5. My husband is a huge golfer and he can play 18 holes of golf, then come home and plop in front of the TV and watch it for another 3-4 hours. I don't get it...never will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure that others would see my hours of crocheting, including watching videos, as totally boring and useless too. LOL

      Delete
  6. Our son is at the US Open at Chambers Bay right now and is a happy man. I don't get the whole golf thing either but my Hubby and son certainly do. And, I agree, kids are not allowed to get bored these days and it is truly a shame. Enjoyed stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Certainly entertaining kids all the time does them an injustice...They learn to count on someone else for contentment and direction instead of themselves. Let our kids figure it out!

      Delete
  7. I have the same problems at the office about people picking up after themselves -- stay home as long as you can! But yes, the paycheck is totally welcomed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy staying home with the kids. It's where I feel I should be...but they are getting older now. Perhaps some part-time work wouldn't be a bad idea...

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!