Sunday, June 7, 2015

Creative Crochet: Coffee Cup Cozies

I'm still working on Jake's Rugged Ripples blanket. (You can see my post about that here.) It's slowly and steadily looking more and more like a blanket rather than a LONG scarf.  I've decided to orient the blanket with the ripples going vertically rather than horizontal as the width turned out to be MUCH wider than anticipated. It's going to be a cozy blanket for cold winter days!


Sometimes I need brief breaks from the same stitch and pattern. It gets too monotonous. Why not try something new? I changed things up by creating some coffee cup cozies this week. Doing a search on Pinterest turned up a few different basic patterns. 

Bubblegirl Mug Cozy Pattern
Sewing Barefoot Mug Cozies
Practical Functional Crochet Mug Cozy

Using worsted weight in dark jewel-toned yarn (blue, green, burgundy and gold) and "thyme" green, I crocheted up 3 of these cozies. They work up super fast. My favorite cozy was the pattern found at Practical Functional. I did alter the pattern a bit. Instead of using DC stitches, I did HDC, and I did a SC border rather than a SS.


I'm still struggling with creating an evenly spaced SC edge to my projects. I watched this You Tube video to give me some pointers, but I guess I just need to practice more.



And then I made another cozy in heather gray with a simple wooden button for a family member. A friend has asked me to try making a tea up cozy...


Time to return to my son's blanket! Perhaps it'll be completed by the next Creative Crochet posting...


I'm sharing my crocheting creations over at The Philosopher's Wife (Mondays), Lucy Blossom Crafts (Mondays), Small Things (Wednesdays), Oombawka Design(Wednesdays), and Natural Suburbia (Fridays).

14 comments:

  1. I love the coffee cosies - I normally just make them for takeaway cups to avoid the mug handle problem, but I'm loving the idea of using a fancy button! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some patterns for those kinds pinned as well. They look like super quick projects, ones great for using up odds and ends of leftover yarn. But I have these ceremic coffee cups...There are lots of cute or antique-looking buttons to buy at stores!

      Delete
  2. They are gorgeous, a perfect way to keep your cuppa warmer for longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! I've enjoyed making them! Super easy, super quick! Although I'm going to try making a TEA CUP one soon, one with decreasing stitches to fit better.

      Delete
  3. I really like these! I've often thought of making some, however I drink coffee so fast it would take longer to put the cosy on, than to drink it! It is an awesome gift idea though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess what? I don't even drink coffee! LOL I'm more of a cocoa girl, but the cozies work for that too. I have some cute winter-themed cozies pinned...

      Delete
  4. Love the mug cosies 💚
    it's always good to break up a tedious big project with little interesting ones xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely! I need a break once in a while from the blanket. It's too monotonous. (It's a super easy stitch as well.) I've already picked out my next mini-project, but I need some cotton yarn...

      Delete
  5. I like a mug cosy, very useful in the garden as my cups of tea usually end up in a flowerpot because it's got cold! I love the yarn you've used for the first one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anna! I like those colors too, but some prefer a solid, single neutral color. (The gray one is from a family member.) I tried visiting your blog, but your profile is hidden...

      Delete
  6. The cosy's are brilliant, I love the button detail. These would also look good on a container for my pencils and brushes :) Your ripple blanket is looking amazing.
    Jan x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they could be worked up as covers to repurpose cans or plastic containers (from food products) for storage! Great idea!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!