Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Wednesday Hodgepodge: Red, White & Blue

1. On Saturday July 4th America celebrates her Independence. (If you're not American,  feel free to answer in terms of a national holiday in your own country) What is your favorite thing about the day? Your favorite food on the 4th? Do you fly a flag at your house? Fireworks-yay or nay? Any special plans this year?

We're going tent camping with our kids. I'm SUPER excited as it's been quite a number of years that we've done something special as a family on the 4th. We may even get to see fireworks! The weather looks perfect. We'll be fishing, swimming, kayaking, grilling, and sleeping under the stars. I can't wait!

2. What's something you recently got for free?

The MOST recent something we got for free was a pair of "old school" oar locks from my Dad for our new-to-us aluminum boat. We have a trolling motor, but there are lakes and ponds that prohibit them, and usually these spots have the best fishing. So, we have oars too. I grew up rowing a "punt" (i.e. rowboat). It's part of life living on a Maine lobstering village, but my husband grew up in in a farming family; rowing is a learning experience for him. (You're doing great, honey!)

Photo Source

3.  The Statue of Liberty, The Liberty Bell, The Washington Monument, or Mount Rushmore...how many on the list have you seen? What is your favorite historical American monument, and why? 

I've visited the Statue of Liberty in high school and the Washington Monument (and Washington D.C.) numerous times as an adult. I haven't seen Mount Rushmore or the Liberty Bell (except in pictures). Favorite? It's not a monument, but I love our national parks! President Roosevelt did a GREAT thing my preserving land for natural enjoyment.

Photo Source

4. When it comes to the news are you more ostrich (stick my head in the sand) or hog (they have room to take a whole lot in)? How much attention have you given the recent news reports regarding ISIS and the acts of terror they've perpetrated against those who do not share their beliefs or support their cause?

Well, without cable I don't get a chance to see much news...and I'm not sure I want to. Such a depressing thing! Most of my news comes from FB, and we know how accurate that can be. (Insert sarcasm.) But it's good to be informed about what is going on at home and abroad as it does effect us. (CNN Student News on-line is a GREAT resource for current events without the harshness of cable news. It's geared towards middle and high school students, but I'm, er, not that much older...) But for the question: I guess I'm an...

Photo Source

5. We're talking plain ice cream...vanilla, chocolate, or strawberry? Choose one.

Chocolate! When you're a chocolate-oholic, there is no other choices! LOL

6. Share a song you love containing the word 'stars' in the lyrics or title?


7. Describe and/or say goodbye to June with an acrostic

June was cool and
Under drizzle day after day.
Now? We're  
Excited for warmth and sun and days at the lake.

8.  Insert your own random thought here.

For those of us in the U.S.
July 4th Free Images
Photo Source

Join Joyce from From This Side of the Pond for Wednesday Hodgepodge. Share in the randomness!

Happy Hodgepodging!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Jessy,

    I enjoyed your answers to the Hodge Podge! Have a wonderful time over the 4th camping with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't been tent camping in years, but we enjoyed it a lot when our girls were growing up. Nice quality family time in the great outdoors. Have so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy your camping and thanks for sharing the Coldplay song - can't think why I didn't think of it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We used to tent camp on the 4th. Lots of great memories there. Loved being on the lake watching fireworks. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We're going camping, too, but in our "glorified tent"! The National Parks are amazing, aren't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a diehard chocoholic, too...chocolate is my choice, as well! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you have a great time camping out! We like to do this in the fall months. Much cooler and fewer bugs. ;) Happy Independence day!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My same song -- love it! Have a great Independence Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be sure you watch the live version of it on You Tube -- link on my post if you need it. So much better than the video they made for the song, I think.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!