Thursday, June 4, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up: Summer Week 1 - The One With Rain

Sometimes I have a sense of relief when we have cool, rainy days. They are perfect days for spending time at home, reading, crocheting, catching up on household responsibilities, and baking. There's less filling days with outside activities, less driving here-and-there, and less feeling rushed. Rain not only refreshes the environment, but my spirit! We had some drenching days this week for which I'm thankful.


Sam rediscovered Diary of a Wimpy Kid. He started reading the books again, but it's inspired him to keep a journal and also do some drawing. All these things are super exciting! Being a kid with SPD who has delayed fine motor skills and visual tracking difficulties, reading and writing are just plain ol' hard work. I'm glad that he's found an enjoyable way to practice these skills!


He wasn't the only one writing! Cati is continuing to work on her short stories in her journal. She's focusing on creating catchy 2-3 page stories with improved grammar and spelling. Again, her choice of entertainment, but I'm super happy that she's working towards improving her written English.

Now, we will be doing Summer Studies during our 3 month vacation. (You can see those plans here.) I just don't want to start them now. It's a good thing to take a school break for a few weeks, but I'm certainly going to encourage child-led learning when I can.  In the meantime, we're enjoying some unscheduled, unstructured time to follow our own interests.

As always, special thanks to these bloggers for their weekly homeschool blog link-ups. Click on over to see what other homeschoolers are doing!

 photo 337a3ef2-b881-48f4-8a2c-9c69e457cb5b_zps8b6152cf.pngHomegrown LearnersWeird Unsocialized Homeschoolers

"When one teaches, two learn." - Robert Heinlein

7 comments:

  1. Love Sam's drawings! My kids get in kicks of drawing Wimpy Kid journaling pages, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually are pretty good copies of the Wimpy Kid illustrations. Notice the curled hair? It's Sam! LOL

      Delete
  2. The drawings are great. I love rain and thunderstorms even more. We are getting a fair amount of rain here this week too.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is something awesome about a thunderstorm, although nothing too wild of course. We haven't had a good one in some time.

      Delete
  3. I'm not a huge fan of rainy days because I still usually have something that needs to be done, but we appreciate the water from the rain. We had rainfall all but 4 days in May, so it's getting especially tiring now. Have fun on your relaxing days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you've gotten far more rain than we have! We needed it! But I think the sun is returning.

      Delete
  4. I don't like rainy days, but I do like a brief thunderstorm now and then! I only tolerate rainy days because I don't have a choice and we need rain if we want beautiful plants and flowers! Sam's drawings are awesome! It's also awesome that Cati has chosen to continue writing in her journal too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!