Thursday, February 26, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up: Week 21 - Looking Ahead

WOULDN'T YOU KNOW IT
I know this will come as a shock, but we got more snow. I can see SPRING peeking around the corner though...The sun is brighter when it's shining. The sky is bluer. The clouds are wispier and whiter. The chickens are starting to lay eggs again. (I just wish they wouldn't freeze before we collect them.) And we don't have to turn on the livingroom lights until 5:15pm. Less than a month until it's spring! Perhaps we'll see ground again by mid-April! One can hope...

Photo Source

WHILE THE KIDS WERE AWAY
Over the weekend, the kids visited their father and then spent time with their grandparents, going to a hockey game and celebrating birthdays. THIS Mom spent time relaxing and enjoying time with her husband-to-be! Thomas made chili one night and another we had Chinese and DQ, and shopped for wedding bands. Excitement! Only 10 more weeks! We should probably start planning and preparing, don't you think?

BACK IN THE GROOVE
It's never easy to get back to THE USUAL after a break, but I was determined to get 5 full days of school in this week. Did we do it? We did! But there were grumbles...

Sam began double digit multiplication. Piece of cake! He's still learning the multiplication facts, sometimes using his grid, but he's getting there. Playing the Grid Game while van schooling during band practice has definitely helped there. What's throwing him for a loop still are missing addends and factors. It's a good thing Saxon spirals!

But because Saxon spirals sometimes the constant review isn't needed. Cati knows her Algebra, so I agreed to let her take the tests until she scored below 85%, skipping those unneeded lessons. Why waste time on problems she understands? She was able to move ahead 20 lessons this week by passing the tests.

And because she's also working through Saxon Grammar and Writing with the same spiraling approach, she decided to see of she come jump ahead in lessons by completing tests as well. She moved ahead 15 lessons this week.

JAZZY!
Cati had a Jazz Band Festival Thursday. It would have been cool if Sam and I could have watched her play...To my surprise, the school decided to CHARGE for non-band members to attend. $10 for Sam and I to watch Cati play 2 songs was more than I wanted to pay. I'm sure she did awesome though!

LOOKING AHEAD
I've started to think about homeschooling next year, planning curriculum, juggling life. Both the kids and I hope that our path continues to be a homeschooling one. 

I have almost completely planned out Cati's curriculum. Since I've saved texts and supplies from Jake's homeschooling, I don't even need to purchase anything new for her. She will have a combined 8th/9th grade year, and I will begin to issue high school credits to her. 

Sam? He's all set with American History (which I'm excited to return to) and Math (as I'm not straying from Saxon). But Language Arts? Science? Nah. Any suggestions on a Science program (grades 5-8) that won't drive a mom crazy with gathering experiment supplies? or break the bank?


As always, special thanks to the these bloggers:

13 comments:

  1. Ah, the joys and freedom of homeschooling. Moving ahead without a class holding you back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Rachel! Why continue doing the same things, same concepts if she already knows them well? Let's move on to some challenges!

      Delete
  2. We stil like Real Science 4 Kids Middle School, but we also supplement them with online videos and other readings deon resources we just have around here. The experiments don't require a lot of supplies. Actually a lot of the astronomy unit uses google earth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking at Real Science 4 Kids Middle School, but Physics or Chemistry. I do have a Chemistry kit, but not a Physics. Physics would probably interest Sam more though. I think Homeschool Science Tools (on-line) does have a kit...but between the program and kit it's about $160. I don't usually spend that much on one subject.

      Delete
  3. I can't get over all the changes that have happened in your life - so exciting about your upcoming marriage - congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a whirlwind, Julie! But I think the kids and I are keeping up! You never know where life will take us. One BIG decision by someone else can have a HUGE impact on the path you take. But sometimes changing direction makes all the difference.

      Delete
  4. You must be so excited about your upcoming wedding! I'll bet you can't wait! My daughter is getting married June 6. Worrying about getting everything done is a bit nerve wracking! I hope you all will be able to continue homeschooling too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sylvia! I'm not too worried about getting everything done as we're going "simple", but time is winding down for sure!

      Delete
  5. Your upcoming wedding is so exciting. I am glad everything is working out so well. Don't get to stressed out with all the planning. Just enjoy yourself.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dawn! I'm only concerned with getting all our paperwork set. Beyond that, let what happens happens! LOL We're going simple, super small and informal.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great week Jessy!! How exciting about your upcoming wedding. I somehow missed that in previous posts!! What a year you have had!! I can't believe it's time to think about NEXT year's curriculum. Shesshhh it seems like this school year just started!! I know you are SICK of snow! We haven't had much but we are sick of it too. Ready for SPRING!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Karen - I've had QUITE a 2 YEARS! LOL It started off very "down", but now it's very "up". Curriculum...well, I'm THINKING about it! I have seen some of our fellow blogging friends already blogging about next year, some even already have their supplies ordered AND delivered! I just hope to be ready by summer!

      Delete
  7. I love your snow pics you share but I'm glad it's not doing that here! :) I'd love to play in it and then go back home LOL. Hoping you guys thaw out soon.

    I love that if they know the subject they can test out of it without having to repeat things they understand :). We do that here too. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!