Monday, February 1, 2016

Journal Jottings of a Maine Mama: February 1, 2016

CLOCK READS
7:41am

WEATHER IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS
Warm weather ushers in February. Cloudy and drizzly, but we may reach 50 degrees. Where are the shorts? flip flops? A sneak-peak of spring!

OUTSIDE MY WINDOW and IN THE GARDEN
Bare patches of ground and grass are showing through the snow to the coop as the mid-winter thaw continues. The hens have been able to explore the yard again, pecking and scratching where they can, and the ducks have been swimming in the brook, preening after a dip in the icy water.


WHAT I'M DOING RIGHT NOW and AROUND THE HOUSE
I'm in my cozy bed with a cooling cup of green tea sweetened with honey beside me. I hear Cate stirring in her room. Wonder how she's feeling? She's had a low grade fever since Saturday.  And I think she's shared with me...

FEBRUARY TO DO LIST
☐ Fix Leaks (that Never Got Fixed in January)
☐ Declutter and Organize Utility Room
☐ Clothing, Linens and Blankets Purge
☐ Bring Donates to Salvation Army

MEAL PLAN
Monday - TBD
Tuesday - TBD
Wednesday - Fend for Yourself Night
Thursday - TBD
Friday - TBD
Saturday - TBD
Sunday - TBD

(Yeah, I don't really have a plan...)

WHAT'S ON TV
Nothing! It's been a while now since I've watched TV, but I think the new seasons of The Amazing Race, The Voice, and Survivor start something this month. I catch them the day after for free on Hulu as we don't have cable.

FROM THE CRAFT BASKET
Isn't it a cute pillow? It didn't work up as big as I thought, but it's a perfect accent pillow to go with my rippled fan afghan. (Pattern)


And here's a look at the progress on my temperature blanket for January. Color key? Purple is for under 20 degrees, navy for 20s, light blue for 30s, and green for 40s. It was a mild month for us. I didn't think I would need green yet! The random pattern based on temperatures is going to create a unique blanket.


I'm sharing my crocheting creations over at Lucy Blossom Crafts (Mondays), Frontier Dreams (Tuesdays), Small Things (Wednesdays), Oombawka Design (Wednesdays), and Lunamon Design (Wednesdays).

PAGE TURNER

A BLESSING
This month I will be doing a LOVE STUDY from Time Warp Wife. I'm excited about learning and applying the 4 types of love - storge, philia, eros, and agape - through bible scripture, on-line discussion, a study guide, and Four Loves by C.S. Lewis. I'll be jotting down prayers and reflections in the SWEET "Quiet Your Heart" journal. (For info on this study, click here. It's not too late to join in!)


DEVOTIONAL and INSPIRATION
Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer all men. (Colossians 4:6)

HHM

I'm linking up to The Simple Woman's DaybookDarling Downs Diaries, and Happy Homemaker are Mondays.

24 comments:

  1. That pillow is so cute!!! I am adding that Nicholas Sparks book to my reading list; and will be checking out that Bible Study. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :sigh: I haven't had time to read much of the Nick Sparks book. My focus has been on finished DIPs and now the bible study. It may be a book I return to borrow again at another time...

      Delete
  2. What a cutie that owl is, maybe you could make a whole family!!! Loving the temperature quilt, what a novel idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have enough of these colors to make, oh, at least 2 more owl pillows, but I tend to be bored with repeat projects. I like to do something new each and every time. Perhaps in few a months I will need a quick project and will make him a buddy.

      Delete
  3. You have a menu plan. Just tell everyont that TBD means turkey, bacon and dijon!!, Everyday!!! Oh my gosh and now the owl to go with your afghan? CUTE! Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am feeling better. Anything with bacon is awesome, right? LOL

      Delete
  4. Oh my WORD, the owl! If you sold them, I would buy one from you. My daughter saw a peek of it and she's in love! Have a beautiful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know! But I have 2 afghans I'm super excited and determined to work on. More owls will have to wait. They pattern is fairly simply to make though. I did tweak the eyes a bit, making them a tad bigger.

      Delete
  5. I just LOVE that little owl! So adorable! I also love the Fend for Yourself night on your menu plan. I think I will need to add that into mine :) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a favorite meal night around here. It just means you can eat whatever you want to prepare and hopefully clean up afterward. Even cereal!

      Delete
  6. Your owl pillow is so darn cute. Owls are so popular right now!! And your afghan is wonderful!! I loved the picture of your hens! And really, your menu made me smile!! Have a great week Jessy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Owls do seem to be popular. Those big he eyes make them adorable. Those hens are some of my old girls. Almost 5. Rarely do you hear of a chicken making it to 6.

      Delete
  7. I love the temperature afghan, such a clever idea. I love the owl too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so too! It's not my idea, but one that has been going around for years. I have 2 of them I'm working one right now.

      Delete
  8. I love that pillow! So cute. It's that time of year when the second wave of sickness seems to go around--hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are! Thanks for asking. Some sniffles continue, but we're up and running again.

      Delete
  9. Haha, your menu plan for the week looks very much like mine did this morning!! The temperature blanket is such a cool idea ~ I just saw it for the first time on FB a couple of weeks ago. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been crocheting about 1 1/2 years and never saw this idea last year. I'm having fun with it this year though! I have 2 blankets started!

      Delete
  10. I have heard of a Temperature scarf but not a blanket. What a great idea! Your pillow is just adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm part of a FB group that is doing either blankets or scarves. I can certainly see how a scarf would be easier...The blankets are rather large, but I am loving the ones I'm creating.

      Delete
  11. I love your owl! It is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!