Monday, October 5, 2015

Journal of a Mom: As the Seasons Turn

The Clock Reads...
7:47am

Weather in My Neck of the Woods 
Autumn has arrived! The trees are turning lovely shades of red, orange and yellow. Days are in the 60s, nights in the 40s. Cool and comfortable! But only a pause before winter arrives with its mountains of snow and frigid temperatures again.

JSkehan - Along the Kancamangus Highway, New Hampshire 2012

In the Garden
It's the end of another growing season. The plants are dying, leaves are wilted and fading. We harvested a few lone yellow-skinned cucumbers, a pea pod or two, a few wax beans, and our pie pumpkins. Soon, I'll pull up the plants and let the hens enjoy a garden snack.

Looking Around the House
I'm mentally making a list of seasonal Must Dos around the house and yard: clean out the gutters, bring the bulky waste to the transfer station, repair the chicken and duck run, organize the garage. It's a good thing we have 5 strong kids...and a trailer to haul trash!

Menu for this Week
Menu? As I tell the kids, our menu will be FOOD. Beyond that, I only have a rough idea of meals. There's a lot of boneless chicken, ground beef, kielbasa, and eggs in the fridge so bellies will be full. I should get back to menu planning as it saves money at the grocery store and indecision around dinner time.

What's on my TV Today 
I'm enjoying some of my favorite shows on Hulu or CBS, watching them during the week when I have time. Survivor, The Amazing Race, Big Bang Theory, and The Voice "marathons" on a rare slow evening.

What I'm Creating from the Craft Basket
I'm working on a shell stitch afghan in ocean hues for Sam, and started a purple and green scoodie, a hooded hat and scarf combo, for Cate. I had big plans for whipping up some Christmas creations, but there's so many other projects I have my eye on.

The Beginnings of a Scoodie

I'm Reading
I just finished Happiness Key by Emilie Richards. More of a "beach read", but I enjoyed it quite the same. Strong women, coming together as new friends, making good things happen.

Things that Make Me Happy and Thankful
Quiet, slow mornings to ease into my busy days.

I'm Wondering
Stripe returned unexpectedly on Wednesday evening. She's been gone over 4 months. I didn't have much hope that she would return after living in the woods for such a long time. We do have large wild animals roaming around the mountain...She looks remarkably good! No fleas or ticks, no wounds or missing fur, just thin. I don't think she found another home as she's not a particularly friendly cat. So, just where was she all this time?


A Comfortable Bed; A Snoozing Cat

Devotional
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven - Ecclesiastes 3:1

HHM

 I'm linking up to The Simple Woman's Daybook and the Happy Homemaker on Mondays.

14 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I was reading your daybook post, enjoying yor pretty yarn colors, the beautiful autumn photo, your must do list, etc . . . and then I got all choked up when I read about your cat returning after so long. The Prodigal Stripe, eh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks, GN Gram! How're you? If only Stripe could talk! I bet she would have a lot of amazing tales to tell...

      Delete
  2. Love the colors in the scoodie!! I am ready for the fall colors to start here!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fall colors are the best, huh? Our trees are really starting to show their colors now! We're not a peak foliage colors yet, but in the next 2 weeks we're sure to have quite a splash of colors.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful way to share a Day Book. I wonder what a scoodie is?
    Visiting from Peggy's,
    Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I should have provided an explanation of what a scoodie is. It's a hat/hood attached to a scarf...but this pattern also have hand pockets at the bottom of the scarf part to warm fingers. I'll share photos when I'm finished...

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to have the cat return after four months!! Love the colors in the scoodie! But I have to go Google scoodie as I have no idea what that is. Hope your week is wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you find out what it was? I'll share photos when it's completed. It's coming along quite well and, even though I wasn't sure about the colors my Cate picked up, they're great!

      Delete
  5. Yay!!!! So glad your sweet kitty is back!!!!! Hope your week is awesome. I love that you have all the animals! Consider me a new reader :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to "meet" you, Joanana! We're animals lovers here! We're glad our Stripe is back home safe and sound!

      Delete
  6. I had no idea what a scoodie was either :P glad to read the explanation in the previous comments. I am glad you kitty came home safe and sound. How crazy, I do wonder what she was up to all that time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDK, but I'm sure she has an adventure! Kitty Cam! LOL

      Delete
  7. It's spring in my part of the world with all the resulting winds and weather. But it's a pretty time as well. I love your autumn photo at the top and the colours for the scoodie are very pretty. Enjoy your week,

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! I hope your week is going smashingly well too!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!