Thursday, October 23, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up: A Day in the Life - Best Laid Plans

I always enjoy reading A Day in the Life posts of other bloggers. It's interesting to see how Moms and Dads structure their days, the HIGHS, the lows, and the in-betweens when juggling homeschooling life. So, here's a peek into Wednesday around Our Side of the Mountain!


6:25am-10:20am

:: yawn :: The alarm goes off on my cell phone. I accidentally tap the snooze button, but there's no more snoozing. The alarm is already set as late as possible. I dress and wash up quickly, wake up Jake, who grunts in response, then tend to the animals while he gets ready. I drive Jake to a family friend's house for the ride into town to catch the bus to school.

Back at home, I put the laundry into the drier, gather a couple eggs from the nesting boxes, and climb back into a comfy, warm bed to do some blogging and messaging with Thomas. Cati wakes and starts her day with breakfast, music and school. She enjoys the calmness of mornings when her little brother is still sleeping.

But the coziness of flannel and the purring of a contented cat lull me off to sleep...

10:20am-11:00am

Cati jars me awake and then Sam. I realize my dozing has set us off schedule and start readjusting my mental To Do List. There goes my "Best Laid Plans"! Cati finishes her Saxon Math test while Sam grabs a bowl of Raisin Bran. I correct Cati's test then gather "van school" and make a "bucket lunch" of turkey-and-cheese roll-ups, baby carrots, homemade pumpkin bread, and apples. At 10:45am, we head to Cati's band practice.

11:00am-12:20pm

While Cati is at band, Sam and I do "van school". Focusing on "van school" is a bit difficult for him, but otherwise the wait time is unproductive...and he complains about boredom. He watches his math lesson on my laptop and gets most of his problem set completed before Cati returns. We nibble on lunch, stopping at the convenience store along the way for milk and a few staples. (I'm not going through my day without Honest Tea!) While I'm shopping, Cati reads The Hobbit and Sam continues with his math problems. We're multi-taskers! We sing along to "Schoolhouse Rock" the rest of the way home.


12:20pm-1:20pm

I put the groceries away and check the laundry in the drier. Damp! I reset the timer and start the drier again. Cati walks home from the beginning of the road, listening to her music, then writes the second chapter to her story The Bridge to Celestia on Wattpad, an on-line community for writers. (How she types everything in on her android I don't know!) Sam finishes up his math and starts grammar and vocabulary on MobyMax and reads The Story of Davy Crockett, Frontier Hero while I speed-wash the dirty dishes and fold that load of laundry. (Am I the only one that loathes dishes?)


1:20pm-2:15pm

Sam and I work on Mobymax stories and literature, sharpening comprehension. Cati sweeps the floor then heads out in the drizzle to get our mail. While waiting for her to return, Sam vacuums then puts a new outlet cover on the wall I sanded and painted yesterday. Job finished! He spends a little time sanding down a wooden boat he made with Grandpa Lobster last week before playing Minecraft. When Cati returns she puts a new light bulb in a lamp and sets up a music "corner". (That girl loves her music!)


2:15pm-4:45pm

King Tut time! After reading the rest of our SOTW chapter, we watch "World Wonders: Tutankhamun" on You tube. I warm us up soft pretzels for a snack (as the kids didn't eat much of the "bucket lunch" I packed). They run off ASAP when it's finished, ready for "down time". Cati heads off to her bedroom; Sam returns to building on Minecraft. I have a "breather", type up our day thus far, and finally hop into a hot shower.


4:45pm-11:00pm

The kids' Dad picks Jake up from our friend's house and then spends some time with the kids. Cati bakes up frozen pizzas for dinner. Jake closes up the flock for the night. I head out to Bible Study and Fellowship with Thomas for the evening. Fellowship includes bible study, a wonderful dinner of chicken soup, biscuits and cupcakes, and social time. I arrive home to a quiet, content home.

At least until the tree snapped in the blustery wind...



As always, special thanks to these weekly link-ups:

16 comments:

  1. Jessy, I LOVED reading about your day of homeschool. I found myself smiling through the entire read. :-) I homeschooled our kids for 21 years and it brought back fun memories for me. Multi-tasking is what it's all about - and teaching kids a love of learning and that work is a joyous part of life. Hope you have a great and productive day tomorrow as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! 21 years of homeschooling! You are truly a "veteran"! And I'm sure some of those years were when homeschooling wasn't quite so accepted...Thanks for your kind words!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a wonderful day! I love hearing about how others do their days as well. It gives me hopes and dreams for our days :). I hope you guys have an awesome weekend and can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You never know when someone's day will inspire something in how we do things...or at least show us that everyone does it differently and it still works!

      Delete
  3. What fun! I loved reading this post. I especially love the bucket lunch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My "bucket" is a plastic gallon container that had ice cream in it. Those containers are great for carrying food to picnics or other places!

      Delete
  4. I loved this too!! I agree it is so interesting to see what other peoples days are like. Thank you for sharing your day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it fun to see how homeschoolers get through their days? No two are alike!

      Delete
  5. I really enjoyed reading about your day. I love days when I can get a quick cat nap. The tree snapping looks a bit scary.
    Blessings, Dawn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the tree is a concern....it's still leaning against other trees. I don't see it coming down without , er, "encouragement".

      Delete
  6. Busy day. I'm glad you had some time out for yourself. But the tree does look a little scary. I hope it didn't cause any problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tree is still where it snapped off...although limbs have been coming down here and there. Firewood!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely day! Except for the tree incident!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's something to be dealt with at some point. Maybe I'll just finish falling for me...LOL

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness - that tree!! I enjoyed reading about your day. My son and I do a lot of car-schooling too while we wait for my daughter to do her outside activities. I love Cati's music nook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes car-schooling is the best way to get it in! I know some think homeschoolers don't socialize, but looking at my schedule the last 11 years...there's too much socializing! LOL

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!