Monday, October 27, 2014

Memory Monday: My First Date

Retired Not Tired Memory Monday
This week I'm joining Memory Monday over at Retired Not Tired. Each week she provides a writing prompt. (Next week is My First Friend.) Why not head over and share your memories? 


Er. I don't remember ever really DATING in high school.

When you grow up on an island things are different. I had a boyfriend from age 15-18 with a few short-term ones before that. I just wasn't interested in dating. And, really, where would we go? There aren't movies or bowling or malls around on the island...

I was also a busy girl! Not only did I take the hardest classes offered (mostly) and received great marks, but I was a go-getter. I was president of the National Honor Society, secretary or treasurer (depending on the year) in Student Council, played varsity basketball and softball, participated in Model UN and Girl's State (state government), and I worked part-time to boot so I could have a car. I was determined to focus on academics and head off to college, and boys just weren't going to derail me from that. I guess you could say I was...focused!

Dating NOW worries me. I hope my own kids decide to postpone dating until, oh, their 30s...


13 comments:

  1. You were too busy for anything outside your interests...but a first date doesn't have to be high school, does it? And I giggled at your response to your kids' dating age.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true! After posting I thought I should have wrote about my first day with Thomas. It would have been a giggler for sure! LOL

      Delete
  2. Some first dates take longer to happen. Some people never get past a first date - poor them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they do! But waiting isn't such a bad thing...

      Delete
  3. That sounds great. I love it that you were so focused. I wish more kids were, rather than getting distracted by all the unimportant stuff out there. And don't forget, when your kids start dating in their 30s, that you send a chaperone. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see clearly now (of course, 20/20 is always better) that I was not focused on the things I should have been. You really had it down as to what your course was going to be. 30?? Some of the 30 year olds I know now aren't ready for dating either!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow you were busy! I didn't participate today because I don't have a clue who my first date was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always busy! Next week I'll head over to read at your blog then!

      Delete
  6. I think that sounds like a great tactic to keep my girls away from dating!! especially given my first date experience. I kept pretty busy after that too. I think taking a slow entry into the dating pool was a very good idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow you were busy with much more important things than dating! I hope my kids will be like that. My 9yr old son still wants to marry his sister (the devil you know etc) and my 10yr old daughter has a zillion hobbies so hopefully she won't have too much time for dating for a good long while either.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!