I spent this week with my special friend, enjoying a staycation together. (My kids are still visiting with Grandpa and Nannie Lobster.) It's been a week of yummy meals, enlightening discussions, road trips, and lots of laughs.
1. I don't know about you, but I love watching thunder and lightning storms blow through. Watching those dark clouds move across the sky, the wind whip around, the increasing splatter of cool rain, the boom of thunder, and the flash of bright lightning is amazing. A number of storms rolled in and out this week, one including a downpour of small hail (which is unusual).
|Taken in Freeport, Maine by Jon Cole (Photo Credit)|
2. My friend and I went to a small town fair. I watched my first ever demolition derby. Have you ever seen "junker" cars smashing into each other like bumper cars? It was fun cheering on the drivers and wondering which cars would make it through to the next round. (My favorite car came in 2nd place.) We also wondered around the livestock barns (as a thunderstorm brought more downpours) and saw the cows and goats. Mooooo!
3. We made a fabulous dinner of rotisserie chicken, "fried" Granny Smith apples with cinnamon, and baked brie with apricot preserves. Oh, my - baked brie! This is the super simple recipe I used. And I harvested 3 zucchini from my garden, the first of the season, and made dark chocolate frosted zucchini brownies using this recipe. Rich and fudgy! You would never know there was squash in them.
4. Road trip! We drove north to Coos Canyon on the Swift River.
5. We watched "Heaven is for Real". Anyone else seen it? What did you think? And as a special treat I watched "The Pioneer Woman" on the cooking channel. We don't have cable, so it's kind of nice to "borrow" some screen time from a friend.