Thursday, July 26, 2012

The Not-Back-to-School Edition: Welcome Year #9!


Who would've "thunk" it? 9 years! I remember Blue Spruce and I discussing homeschooling when our oldest, White Pine, was 4 and attending a wonderful Montessori pre-school, pondering what direction to take with our bright Sapling for Kindergarten. Our one year of "we'll see how it goes" has turned into "9 years and counting"! 

What's up for this year?
White Pine, age 13, is starting high school. ((sigh)) High school! Well, REALLY he's supposed to be going into 8th grade, but all his coursework is 9th or higher so I must accept the fact that he is indeed a high schooler. Maybe. Time for detailed record-keeping and longer school hours!


White Pine's 9th Grade Plan
I. Honors English I with Composition (1 credit Grammar, 1.5 credit English and Composition, .5 credit SAT Preparation)
  II. Saxon Algebra I (1 credit)
III. Biology with Laboratory (1.5 credits)
      2. Hippocampus Biology Videos (from Text)
IV. World History, Geography and Cultures (1 credit)
V. Electives (1.5 credits)
         C. Physical Education (1 credit)
   D. Computer Proficiency (.5 credit)

Sugar Maple and Balsam Fir will be finding school QUITE a bit different this year. After 2 years of  "falling off the Charlotte Mason band wagon" and some frustrating, challenging behavior, we're jumping back on. And I'm adding in some work box ideas to boot! Gotta keep them on their toes trying to figure me out, right? LOL


Sugar Maple's 5th Grade Plan
I. Language Arts
II. Saxon Math 65
III. Apologia Elementary Science: Botany
IV. World History
   A. Story of the World Volume 1
   B. Story of the World Activity Book
   C. Story of the World Notebooking Pages or Timeline
V. Electives
   B. Physical Education: Walking/Hiking, Swimming, Soccer, Basketball, Softball
   C. Nature Studies
   D. Handicrafts
   E. Clarinet and Band
   F. Music Lapbook - Music Theory, Famous Musicians, Lapbook
   
Daily Schedule
Monday - Walk, Language Arts, Writing, Spelling, DEAR (Drop Everything And Read), Math, Science, Reviews, Clarinet, Handicraft
Tuesday - Walk, Reading, Handwriting, Spelling, DEAR, Math, History, Spanish, Clarinet, Keyboarding
Wednesday - Walk, Language Arts, Writing, Spelling, DEAR, Math, Science, Reviews, Clarinet, Handicraft
Thursday - Walk, Reading, Handwriting, Spelling, DEAR, Math, History, Spanish, Clarinet, Keyboarding
Friday -  DEAR, Math, Nature Studies/Music, Clarinet OR Field Trip


Balsam Fir's 2nd Grade Plan
I. Language Arts
   B. Hooked on Phonics Levels 2-5
II. Horizons Math 2 Workbook 1 and 2
III. Apologia Elementary Science: Botany
IV. World History
A. Story of the World Volume 1
B. Story of the World Activity Book
   C. Story of the World Notebooking or Timeline
V. Electives
   B. Physical Education: Walking/Hiking, Swimming, Soccer, Basketball, Baseball
   C. Nature Studies
   D. Handicrafts
   E. Music Lapbook - Music Theory, Famous Musicians, Lapbook
  
Daily Schedule
Monday - Walk, Calendar, English, HOP, DEAR, Math, Science, Reviews, Handicraft
Tuesday - Walk, Calendar, English, Handwriting, DEAR, Math, History, Spanish, Scouts
Wednesday - Walk, Calendar, English, HOP, DEAR, Math, Science, Reviews, Handicraft
Thursday - Walk, Calendar, English, Handwriting, DEAR, Math, History, Spanish, Scouts
Friday - Walk, Calendar, DEAR, Math, Nature Studies/Music OR Field Trip

So, how do we DO our homeschooling?

Well, White Pine will be doing the majority of his work independently, but with my or his Dad's guidance. Although some of his school work WILL have exams, we'll be focusing on discussing his work - the good and the needs improvement. He'll be recording his work - including time spent - using the School House Teachers' on-line high school planner. Our goals for White Pine are to "take over" his learning by managing his time, finishing his studies accurately and completely, and keeping thorough records.

Sugar Maple and Balsam Fir will be continuing on with their work binders - a workbox system twist - with shorter, more varied daily lessons similar to those of Charlotte Mason. And to keep them focused and productive, their new work binders have workbox grids and cards on the front. (Want more information on the workbox grids and cards? Click over to Homeschool Creations here!) These grid schedules will provide the Saplings with a VISUAL of what is to be accomplished during the day and a sense of accomplishment as they turn their cards over when lessons or activities are completed.

Don't Have a Laminator? No Worries! Clear CONTACT PAPER!
After Cutting on Workbox Grid Cards, I "Papered" Them and
Stored Them in a Recycled Plastic Container with Lid.
Sugar Maple's Work Binder - 3 Ring Binder with Front/Back Clear
Sleeves. Slid in Workbox Card Grid. Here's a Sample Daily
Schedule with Cards. Velcro Dots in Corner, Back and Front,
to Attach Cards to Binder
Turn Cards Over When Completed. 15 Minutes Card for Break

What does our schoolroom look like?

Well, this is a hard one for me! LOL I know for some of us it means a place where the kids do their studies with all our supplies and books; it's usually a room dedicated TO homeschooling or at the very least an area. For us, it can be anywhere! 

 I suppose I'll start with our diningroom/school room. ((wink)) This is where most of our "things" are and where we do the majority of our school, especially in the winter months.



But we could very well be doing our studies in THESE places too.

On Nature Trails in the Woods
At the Top of Our Mountain Looking at the White Mountains in NH
At the Local State Parks with Lakes and Beaches and Trails
In Our Own Backyard
Or in the Van

Well, that about covers the basics of Year #9! Here's hoping to a smooth, productive year filled with fun, new experiences, ah-ha moments, and happy attitudes! All the best for YOUR upcoming year too!



14 comments:

  1. Great stuff!!! I look forward to hearing how the new twists work out for the kids.

    And don't be surprised if I show up at your door one day for a vacation. I want you to schlep me around the mountain with my camera. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. AH I SO LOVE this.... I may have to do it too sharing what I will be doing with Wyatt this year! :) Love your plan .... and SO agree .. sometimes you just spend your days learning in the world! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://littleadventures-als.blogspot.com/2012/07/the-not-back-to-school-edition-welcome.html

    Heres ours girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nine years!! I've been shaking my head about us starting our 4th.. You are an inspiration, Jessie!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a good plan to me. Let me know how you like the Language Arts in case ours doesnt go to well. I have just a 5th grader and don't feel near as ready to start as you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! looks great! Love all the places you school, :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great plan! (Sorry I didn't get you a response to your lengthy e-mail about high school. I was still intending to, but I see that things changed?) Looks like you will be having another great year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like no one will have time to get bored! I hope you have a great year, and that we have some nice weather during our Maine seasons to enjoy all the outdoor school spaces we have around here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for linking up to the Apologia Blog Roll!

    We are studying Botany too next year! I look forward to following you science journey this year!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your views of the mountains! Looks like a fun year ahead for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your outdoor schoolrooms! We are fitting more and more of that into our days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great room! When clicking through to check out what timeline you would be using, I got the link for my old blog which is gone. Fortunately I noticed and please visit me at my improved, updated blog. You can still download the timeline file as everything has moved over.

    http://tendingourlordsgarden.blogspot.com/2012/05/story-of-world-timeline-cards.html

    Have a great year!

    God Bless,
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like you've got a great plan. Love seeing your ideas for high school. I feel like it's coming up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a wonderful year is ahead for you! I am right with you about High School, our daughter is a Freshman this year, boy the time flies lol.
    I am in love with your trails and mountain, I don't think I would ever see my boys if we had your backyard!! Wishing you a wonderful week!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!