Friday, April 15, 2011

Nature Study: Spring Weather and Clouds

Our Nature Study this week was to study the up-and-down weather of early Spring in Maine, and to study the different types of clouds and the water cycle.

We learned about the water cycle and filled out notebook pages from Kidzone and Enchanted Learning.


S's Water Cycle
C's Water Cycle (J Did the Same)
We made Cloud Finder wheels to help us identify the types of clouds we see.

A Cloud Bank - Storm Rolling In
Snow Clouds (Stratus)
Little Puffy Clouds
Cloudless Sky
Soft, high clouds (Cirrus)
We made poster-paper sundials using the instructions and templates here, comparing the sundial times to actual time. It was QUITE accurate (considering the wind was blowing and the paper was bent).

J Showed C and S how to Find N on a Compass to Line up our Sun Dial
10 o'clock!
We read these books - some for information and some for fun - during our study:


And we watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Magic School Bus: Wet all Over.

I'm linking up with The Outdoor Hour, Wilderness Wednesday and Science Sunday to share our Nature Studies. Check out other Nature Studies by clicking on the sidebar buttons.

6 comments:

  1. Another great entry...loved seeing the images of the different clouds and the sundial. You also read a great collection of books!

    Thanks so much for sharing your link. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great - we just finished studying clouds and are about to start studying water. Your photos of the clouds are great. I'm terrible about remembering the names of clouds, though I can remember "nimbus." I love the word nimbus!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun - we have been studying the water cycle, too! (At a more simple, level, though--since my kiddos are 4.5 and 2.5!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really lovely pictures!
    I recognize that cloud finder and the sundial (we made the same ones as part of our weather study series).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man, I wish I'd seen this before I wrote my last post for ABC & 123, I could have added this one in as well.

    I'm sure I'll come back when we next do water cycle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's Awesome! I love the cloud spinner wheel - and all of the weather notebook pages. Great Study, beautiful Pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!