Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Canning Quick Bread? Who Would've Thought!

Photo Credit
Yes, you CAN can quick bread! 

Not that ANY quick bread around HERE lasts long enough TO BE canned. :wink:

When I saw this on Pinterest, well, I had to give it a swirl. Canned banana bread?! Huh. :ponder: The possibilities! Perfect for road trip snacks. Picnics at the lake. Gifts! And I can reuse those Mason canning jars just collecting dust and taking up space in the cupboard.

And they're just plain ol' cute. Don't you think?

So, using a simple recipe from a friend for banana bread (that I tweaked with additional spices because banana bread REALLY should have cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger in it), I baked a few of these up...and they worked perfectly. I did have my doubts that they would "pop out easily " like described in the comments here, but slide right on out they did. And the kids thought they were pretty nifty. I just wish I had more wide-mouthed jars...

Banana Bread
1 egg
1 c sugar
1/2 c softened butter
3 smushed, peeled bananas
1 t vanilla
2 c all-purpose flour
1/4 t salt
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t ginger
optional: 1/3 c chopped walnuts, 1/3 c mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. Beat together egg, sugar and butter until creamy. Add in smashed banana and vanilla.
2. Mix together flour, salt, soda, and spices. (I'm lazy and do this right on top of the wet ingredients. :grin: But if you don't mind cleaning another bowl, do this step in another mixing bowl.)
3. Mix together wet and dry. Fold in nuts and chips (if you like).
4. Spray WIDE-MOUTH canning jars with cooking spray or wipe inside with butter. (Use a sandwich baggie over your hand to do butter and your hand won't be a mess afterward.)  Fill 1/2 full with batter. Wipe opening clean of batter drips.
5. Bake at 325 degrees for about 40 minutes (but it depends on the size of your canning jars so adjust as needed). A toothpick inserted some come out mostly clean. Remove and immediately twist on lids (with a pot holder :wink:). 

Note: The heat from the bread just out of the the oven sealed ALL my Mason jars once cooled. Listen for the "ping" or push the top of the lid as it shouldn't move.

Pinned and Adapted from here.

4 comments:

  1. I never knew bread could be canned! How fun. I will have to try this with my kiddos. Thanks for the fun idea.

    www.sugarbeelearning.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! This sounds like a really great idea. I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Incredible, Jessy! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing!! I have shared it as my guest post at Kids in the Kitchen! Come check it out! Thank you!!! I have never heard of canning bread before! So fun and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!