Thursday, May 30, 2013

A Peak at Our Week: Easing into Summer

In My Life This Week
Inspired by Melis at The Joys of Home Education and My Party Passion, I decided that what my kids and I needed were some new family traditions. Or to revive "forgotten" ones. So, we had FAMILY FUN FRIDAY! I baked up some quick nibbles and we spent a couple of hours playing Sorry! and Way Back When in History. Would you believe that I came in DEAD LAST in Sorry!? :sigh: But I redeemed myself in History! 


Things I'm Working On
Have you seen "Lost"? Yeah, that drama show from 2004-2010 where passengers of a plane crash survive on a remote island and deal with "the others". I started watching it on Netflix. Why didn't someone tell me about it before? Totally hooked! I'm working my way through Season 3 right now.


On the Menu
• Cheese Pizza with Baby Carrots and Greek Nonfat Yogurt Ranch Dip and Apple Crisp • Chicken and Cheese Quesadillas with Chunky Salsa and Apple Crisp   BBQ Chicken or Hot Dogs with Tator Tots and Applesauce • Chop Suey with Tomatoes, Garlic and Onions • Meatfloaf Patties with Potatoes and Cantaloupe 

Homeschool Happenings
We've moved onto SUMMER SCHOOL around here. I can't say as we're DONE with the year, but our days are short and our free time long.

Jake is still working a couple of hours each day to finish up Biology and his Civil War paper. I back-tracked with Sam and restarted Hooked on Phonics. (An informal on-line assessment showed weak phonetic and blending skills.) But my BIG GOAL for this week was to get EVERYONE reading more.

I also got our portfolios caught up and ready for review which is TOMORROW

Our Read Aloud
Guess what? The kids seem to like The BFG (Dahl)...and we might actually get through THIS book! It IS kinda fun to read! Any suggestions for the next humorous book? Mathilda, maybe?

Places We Went, People We Saw
• At the S__'s for Board Games, Kayaking and Biking (All) • Cook-out with Family (All) • Swimming at the Lake (C/S) • Boy Scouts (J) • Doctor Appointment (S) • Portland Sea Dogs (J) • Clarinet (C) • 

Our Favorite Things
After a week of cold, soaking rain, the sun FINALLY popped out, dried us out and warmed up the temperatures.

Something to Share

Did you miss these posts?
As the Garden Grows: SFG, Seedlings and Spring Blooms

As always, linking up to these AWESOME blogs:
Homegrown LearnersThe Homeschool Villagehttp://hammocktracks.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/savannahbutton2.png photo 79396fe0-1f8b-44f8-a90e-f8ca7bfa801e_zpsa74bcc3b.jpgHip Homeschool Hop Button

13 comments:

  1. Ah, to move on to a summer schedule...that would be nice. To have a break from school would be nice, but the kids take too many breaks as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are enjoying the summer schedule, too! Your family game night looks fun! We haven't had one of those in a while. It might be time to dust off Sorry...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My fourth child is now in the middle of Hooked on Phonics. Love that program! Glad you're enjoying The BFG. I would say that Matilda is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A summer schedule sounds nice. A great week of play, fun and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw thanks Jessy for trying the game night! Hope it was a HUGE SUccess! We are having Family Fun Friday - Happy Hour and Movie Night tonight on the big screen outside! Making Memories my friend! Oh I love LOST and was a "late comer" also to the LOST Party..I ended up getting them from the library on DVD one after another...addicting for sure! Summer schedule - CHECK! Enjoy the weekend and glad I could inspire you! HUZZAH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ohhhh yes, I've seen Lost. I never missed an episode when it was on tv! My friends would come over on Sunday nights for Lost viewing parties. We were a little bit obsessed haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer schedule, yay! We kinda had that this week since we only had a few math lessons to finish. Next week starts our actual summer schedule. It's nice to feel more relaxed.

    Game time sounds fun. We need to get back to that. Lately we've just had family tv watching time, at least we were together.

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I are huuuge Lost fans! We started watching it right after my daughter was born in 2009, and it is totally addicting!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to do a weekly update!!! I LOVE Lost!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Lost, so glad I found you over at your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that quote - I can't hear that message enough times. Thanks for sharing.
    We watched Lost late on DVD too (after giving up after about 6 episodes of season 1 when it was first one) - I think it's the best way to watch it ;-) It keeps getting better and better - my mum and I wish we could watch it all over again!
    Love the look of your games. I'd love for us to play more, though we often don't get through a complete game with my SPD 8 yr old!
    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved Lost. But the last episode was disappointing! Anyway...I'm working on trying to get my kids outside more! I'm sure your portfolios will knock their socks off and put public school to shame!

    ReplyDelete
  13. We technically have a couple more weeks of school but I'm DONE!
    SO we will finish up over the summer... and that will be that.

    I'm so thankful for long periods of free time. YAY
    We all need to reconnect in positive ways.
    Thanks for reminding me to do a family game night.

    I love those - mostly!
    haha

    blessings,
    Em

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!