Friday, July 1, 2011

The Homeschool Mother's Journal: June 25 - July 1

In My Life This Week
With J's friend T in tow, the kids and I drove to the island to spend the week with my family. And the chicks stayed behind. Guess what THAT means? Yup! We need a coop! Oh! And does anyone want a rooster? They're REALLY cute! LOL 
The Rocky Atlantic Coast
Places We're Going and People We're Seeing
Day 1 - We picked S up from his weekend sleepover with at my ILs. We stopped to see Eartha, the Guinness World Record globe at Delorme, and shopped at LL Bean, eating a picnic lunch by the big Bean boot. We visited 3 different state parks, played on playgrounds, walked some trails, saw a lighthouse, explored oceanside, and stamped our passports. And sampled fudge at Perry's Nut House.
C, S, T and J Getting Stepped on by the BIG Bean Boot
My Monkeys on the Playground
Fort Point State Park
Day 2 - EARLY morning! We dropped C off to horse camp and headed to the fort to explore and have a picnic lunch. We braved going up 420 feet in an elevator on a bridge to see beautiful ocean views! After picking up C (who mucked out 5 stalls, curried horses, learned about the English saddle, and got her first riding lesson), stopped for ice cream. We made pizza for dinner and had birthday cake (for my parents) and then spent the evening at the rocky ocean beach, swimming, searching for crabs, playing in the sand.
420 Feet Up THERE!
The View
N Reading About the Fort
S Sitting on the Canon Balls
Day 3 - C headed back to horse camp. The rest of us walked the bog boardwalk. (Was it hot, humid!) We had lobster rolls or hot dogs for dinner then headed to the beach again. I read a Kindle book (on my Mom's Kindle) and the kids swam, explored and climbed rocks until the mosquitoes swarmed.
J's Inuksuit at the Beach
Cousin N Exploring a Bog Flower Seeds
S and N Searching for Frogs in the Bog
Day 4 - A day without busyness! The kids were ASKING to stay home so Mom and Dad headed off with C to drop her off at horse camp and the rest of us, including my niece had a lazy day of reading, watching TV, playing video games, and drawing. We headed off island to watch "Mr. Popper's Penguins" after dinner. Unfortunately, I felt sicker and sicker throughout the day and decided to go to the ER after the movie. It turns out I have a sinus infection AND infections in both ears.

Day 5 - C's horse show! On her final day of camp, she showed us all that she learned - putting on an English saddle, riding, balance skills, a parade routine, and even the beginning of jumping! Her instructor said, "She's a natural!" and invited her back in July to ride with them in the town parade! I spent the rest of the day resting while the kids went swimming with family and C and S spent the night with my sister.
Isn't She Cute in her Riding Uniform?
She was VERY Serious About Riding
C with her Ribbon and Trophy
Day 6 - Relief already! I'm feeling better! Antibiotics are a GOOD thing! C has a friend over playing this morning. N is over for the day. And the older boys are still sleeping! Another slow day before trekking back home tomorrow. Laundry!
 
My Favorite Thing This Week Was
I was QUITE proud of all that C accomplished at horse camp this week! I had wondered if she was learning to ride because it sounded like she was doing A LOT of mucking out of stalls, but she did AWESOME!
 
Questions/Thoughts I Have
When we return, I NEED to finally order the rest of our curriculum for next year. I'm anxious! I want BOX DAY too! LOL

A Photo, Video, Link, or Quote To Share
Moose Point State Park
I'm linking up to Forever, For Always, No Matter What, The Homeschool Mother's Journal, Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers, Science Sunday, Fun Tuesday Hop, No Ordinary Blog Hop, and Hip Homeschool Hop. Head over to read more homeschool happenings!

19 comments:

  1. Glad you are feeling better...

    It is SO hard to find that bit of time to get some planning and ordering done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the searching for frogs picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you had a very full but fun week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting week! I love the pic of the kids searching for frogs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you continue to get better! We are learning that working with horses involves a lot of "smelly" work. ;) It looks like you had a magical week with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love all the places you have gone and the things you have done. Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE your pics!! We usually spend time every summer in Maine, but skipped this summer. Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I love the Boot Pic - we love LLBean!! Makes me "home" sick for Maine. What a blessing to live there!!

    Many Blessings!
    Janelle

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great week, and great photos! My daughter would be so jealous if she saw C's horse show photos!

    Stopping by from the Weekly Wrap Up!

    Joesette @ Learning Curve

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are feeling better. Did you like Mr. Popper's Penguins? Congrats to your daughter getting asked to ride in the parade, that will be quite an experience! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you are feeling better. Very cool about the riding. Lydia loves to ride, but hasn't tried to show yet. Who knows maybe next season. She's really liking it.

    What a week!! Take a break and relax now.

    Renita
    www.krazykuehnerdays.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love reading your blog because I can say, "Hey, I've been there!" Usually I just get to enjoy the photos and places people visit. Sounds like you had a VERY busy but fun week. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jessy, what a fun week you all had. It's nice to get away and have a change of scenery. I need to do that with my son, since it's already July 1st and summer will be over before I know it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. SOunds like a full and fun week!! I feel for you and the infections... I'm battling poison ivy and want to rest and stay inside and NOt busy too;)

    What did you think of the movie???

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great week! Your pictures are so beautiful!! I can imagine what it's like to be there in person and it looks heavenly. So glad you also made sure to stop at LL Bean. Priorities :).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the pictures of your girl on her horse in her riding frocks! We have a little equestrian at our house too. girls and their horses :-) I love summer when you can have these kinds of trips with the kids and really see and enjoy "the teachable moment" without the hurriedness of a regular school year. Stopping by from HMJ.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy cuteness Batman!! Check out C in her horse gear.

    Fun week!!! You always do the coolest stuff.

    I posted some space bins on FB for you. I tagged you so you could find them.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great week and awesome photos! Congrats to your daughter on her successes at camp.

    I sure hope you are feeling better. Ear infections are so painful.

    What awesome memories you are making with your children. That's what it's all about, right? :-)

    Have a blessed day,
    Lisa
    http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com
    P.S. I still haven't ordered all of our curricula for next year, either. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for linking up to the Field trip hop. Looks like your family had an awesome time. i would love to shop at LL bean it is one of my favorite on line shopping sites:) Who doesn't love searching for frogs:) Remember you can post all fieldtrips for the whole month:) Hope to see you again.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow, looks like a fun time :) stopping by from the hhhop.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!