Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Weekly Wrap-up: Days 133-137 - The Countdown!

Phew! We were busy, busy, busy over the weekend. Well, at least Saturday was hectic. A drove J to his Boy Scout pancake breakfast fundraiser SUPER early in the morning. I drove C and S to "Play with your Food" at the library mid-morning. They decorated cupcakes like hedgehogs, flowers and frogs. We had a lingering lunch at Subway before C joined the Brownies to sell cookies at their booth. We left there to join A and J at J's final play-off basketball game. They won! J's team ended up in 3rd place overall. At 4:00pm, we left there and headed 50 minutes away to my ILs where we dropped off the kids, visiting for a few minutes and then drove another 40 minutes for a night out with my BIL and SIL at a wonderful restaurant near the ocean. It was 10:30pm when we arrived home! Was I glad that Sunday was Q-U-I-E-T!
Our Flooded Backyard
With our year winding down, our daily assignments have simplified to those projects, textbooks and workbooks that I'd like finished before our year is over. 38 days until Year 7 is completed!
Don't Touch my Tennis Ball! Our Constant School Distraction!
J will be concentrating on: finishing the final issue of Pond Press, completing Apologia General Science, Rowe College Business English (Grammar), Literature Study using the book "Hatchet"(Paulsen), and Teaching Textbooks Pre-Algebra, and continue using Typing.

C will be concentrating on: completing Handwriting Without Tears Cursive, Apologia Zoology III: Land Animals, Daily Grams Grade 3, and a Florida lapbook, and continue working through lessons in Saxon Math 54 and All About Spelling Level 2.

S will be concentrating on: continuing lessons in Hooked on Phonics: Learn to Read Level 1, Draw Write Now Book 1 and Math lessons from Houghton Mifflin, and complete a train lapbook and Kumon Mazes.
S Can't Pass up a Puddle
And this week?

Well, S starting working on his Train Lapbook. He was VERY excited to start this one! And, even though this is a HUGE lapbook and great for his portfolio, I'll be letting him keep this one after it's completed for his own personal book. He also started listening to his "fine tuning" CD for Listening Therapy. (For those of you who don't know, S has Sensory Processing Disorder.)
S Doing Listening Therapy
S Working on Beginning Sounds
J had to wrap up 4 different General Science experiments. It was nice getting rid of yeast-rotting bananas in baggies on my counter! Ewww!
J's Sipping Hot Cocoa and Reading the Latest Nat'l Geographic
And C started working on lesson 12 in Apologia Zoology III - amphibians, turtles and crocodilians - and step 12 in All About Spelling. Her spelling seems to be improving! I'm anxious to give her a spelling level test next month as I think she's improved at least 2 grade levels this year (which is WONDERFUL because she was 2 grade levels behind).
C Swinging
Dodgeball started again at the Rec Center. The kids LOVE LOVE Dodgeball!

That's our week and plans for the upcoming last part of our year! How did your week go? Check out other homeschool families at these links:

15 comments:

  1. My son loves the Gary Paulsen books, in face this week we are listening to "Brian's Hunt" on CD. We also love, love, love the Apologia Zoology series - they are my son's favorite books.

    Mary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just reviewing Apologia for our next year's science. We'll be doing 7th grade, and I'm considering the Physical Science one. Any overall thoughts on Apologia? Have you used the Physical one? Books or CD? Thanks for any help!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm interested in hearing more about "fine tuning" CD for Listening Therapy... we're looking at SPD for my daughter and am researching everything I can :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rotting food on the kitchen counter? Yep, sounds like a homeschooling home. (We did the moldy bread project this year.) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have rotting food on our counter too! :) Dodgeball sounds fun- I am actually going to look that up for my area. I can so see my boys getting in to that. Full week! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up this week! You did have a busy Saturday and a full week :) I love your blog header, it looks great. I need to check out Handwriting without Tears cursive for my daughter, Robin @ Live, Love, Learn also has had good success with it. Hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a big busy week! Love dodge ball. My oldest was at a youth group overnight last night where they had a tournament at 2am. Happy weekly wrap-up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha ha! Don't you just love the rotting food on counter tops?! My little man cannot resist a puddle...a stick...mud...:) You had an excellent week with your studies. Enjoy this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. The cardinal on my page is actually Jen's picture she use to use to link up with. Down in TX, we have beautiful mocking birds. They can repeat up to 2,000 sounds they hear. The males are the most "talkative" in the spring when they are trying to attract a mate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoyed reading about your week! It's hard to believe that the year is winding down, isn't it? Way to go~completing year 7!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you had a very productive week! I can't believe you are so close to the end - wish we were that far along!

    btw, I noticed some of your ride sidebar items are wider than your sidebar. Go to your Dashboard, then Design, and then Advanced Design. Unless you used a template from another source, you should be able to adjust the width...even works for some non-Blogger templates. Anyway, I know you didn't ask for any help/advice, but that width adjustment is something fairly new and something I didn't discover until just recently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We recently finished up the Kumon Mazes book. I like that one. And YAY for getting rotting bananas off your counter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Stopping by from the hip homeschool hop. Sounds like your week has been a busy one. Those last days for us seem to be the busiest trying to get everything in before the end of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi I stoppped by from Hip Homeschool Hop. Sounds you had a busy week. I am thinking of trying All About Spelling, my DS is an advanced reader but terrible at spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Following you from Hip Homeschool Hop.

    http://sloanhomeschool.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!