Monday, May 25, 2015

Creative Crochet: Rugged Ripple Blanket

Look! A blog post dedicated to my crocheting!

I never ever thought I would enjoy knitting or crocheting. Until the winter before last, I had no desire to learn either craft. I'm not sure what sparked my creative "juices" that winter, but I decided to learn to knit using videos found on You Tube. Then, this past fall I switched to crochet because I simply could not figure out how to knit in a round no matter the video instruction or Mom's help (as she's an accomplished crafter). But crochet? Now that makes sense! 

I'm crocheting up my very first blanket called Rugged Ripples. Here's the You Tube Video:



I have an ambitious goal to make each of my 5 kids a blanket to take with them as they leave for college or work. (I've got 8 years to make 5 unique blankets.) This blanket is for my oldest son Jake. He decided on navy blue, deep red and white for colors.


It's supposed to be a twin-sized blanket, but I'm guessing it'll be queen unless I decide to have vertical ripples rather than horizontal. (I think it looks awesome either way, but I have mixed opinions from my family.) Instead of an I hook, I used a J (recommended for the yarn I purchased). My progress is slow, but steady; it's going to take some time to complete it. Perhaps I'll break for quick creations here and there? I've got quite a few inspirations pinned on Pinterest.



I'm sharing my crocheting creations over at The Philosopher's Wife (Mondays), Lucy Blossom Crafts (Mondays), Small Things (Wednesdays), Oombawka Design (Wednesdays), and Natural Suburbia (Fridays).

10 comments:

  1. This is such a lovely stitch pattern for this special blanket. I'm sure your son will cherish it for many years. It's so nice to discover your blog. Wishing you a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting! It's my first time linking up to the crafting hops, but crocheting is something I enjoy and like to share with others. Perhaps I'll also find some inspiration along the way...

      Delete
  2. Will be treasured always since it's made with love. :-) My 9 year old daughter just started teaching herself to crochet watching Youtube videos also. I'm impressed with how quickly she has picked it up and of course very proud of her as well! ;-) Have a great day!

    Blessings
    ,Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing the resource that You Tube can be (although you do need to watch what you search for sometimes)! Being left-handed, crocheting was a challenge to learn but there were a number of lefty videos to help me along. I've found it to be a great handicraft to express creativity AND have something to use and give away.

      Delete
  3. Your son chose great colors! :^) Glad to see more crocheters in Ginny's Small Things Yarn-Along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Becki! My first time joining in this week! I've been looking for ways to share my crochet creations with others...and find more inspiration for more projects!

      Delete
  4. Love ripple blankets - had one on my hook for ages, still not showing any sign of being finished any time soon.
    Lovely colours you have chosen - good luck in making 8 in 5 years - don't think I could pull it off!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm determined! LOL This one is taking longer than I thought it would...and the other kids want to chose their own, unique patterns so I will be making different ones each time. My daughter wants a traditional granny square so looking forward to that.

      Delete
  5. Such a lovely idea to do the blankets. I love the ripples and the colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lucy! I do too, but I'm anxious to create a traditional Granny Square blanket...

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!