Saturday, April 28, 2012

Review: Time4Learning

I was a little ambivalent about reviewing Time4Learning. Have you seen Time4Learning? It's an ON-LINE education program where kids work through lessons in Language Arts, Math, Science, and Social Studies. Ambivalent? Why?

Well, I think I'm a tad OLD-FASHIONED. 

I know that technology has invaded our lives and is here to stay, but I'm still "down" with REAL BOOKS and more TRADITIONAL learning. I wasn't so sure about doing a complete curriculum ON-LINE. And I wasn't so sure how my little guy would do with the visual aspects of SCREEN LEARNING since he has tracking difficulties and sometimes on-line games can reek havoc on his SPD regulation. But Balsam Fir, who is finishing up 1st grade, ENJOYED it!


Time4Learning is a new approach that takes advantage of today's technology. It's a convenient, online home education program that combines learning with fun educational teaching games.
The online language arts and math comprise a comprehensive program for preschool, elementary school, and middle school. Science and social studies programs are provided as a free bonus for most grades.
Kids like using the computer to learn and to develop their skills. The Time4Learning educational teaching program gives students independence to progress at their own pace.
Parents like that Time4Learning tracks progress and helps students advance along individualized learning paths. Students master the skills and concepts needed for academic success.
Have a child with math and reading skills at different grade levels? No problem, just tell us in the online registration process.
Time4Learning is proven effective, has a low monthly price, and provides a 14 day money-back guarantee so you can be sure that it works for your family!

So, Balsam Fir used this program for several weeks and had no difficulties navigating the screens to find his lessons or understanding the directions provided for each activity. (Should I admit that I had a few snags getting it started the first time due to my pop-up blocker? Nah! LOL) He could independently work though his Time4Learning lessons which did free up more time for me to work with his older siblings (or throw in that load of laundry LOL).

We used this as a complete curriculum at first, supplementing only additional readers for more practice, then stopped Math and picked back up with his Saxon. I found that my lil' Sapling could work though about an hour of lessons in Language Arts, Science and Social Studies before calling it a day. This impressed me since his ability to focus is usually only about 20 minutes. The videos and games were engaging with just enough repetitiveness to learn the information and apply it.

I found the portfolio and reports generator very helpful! These aspects of the program let you know what areas your kiddo struggled in and what areas they whizzed through, and you can print these reports out to place in a portfolio (if your state requires such things). I still feel FOR US that an on-line learning program would be a SUPPLEMENT to more traditional BOOK learning, especially since we limit any type of screen time. It was VERY hands-off for me, and, although some independent work is AWESOME, I feel kids at Balsam's Fir age should have more direct teacher-to-student instruction. But if you're looking for a strong independent on-line work program with multi-sensory learning that's a breeze to set up, figure out and print out portfolio reports or something to keep your kiddo's mind working during the summer months, this is a GREAT, INEXPENSIVE subscription!

Now, Time4Learning has a 1 minute informational video to view here. So, don't miss that if you want more information about their curriculum program and here to see lesson demos. Or here for subscription information and to sign up!


Disclaimer: Our Side of the Mountain was provided this product free in exchange for our honest review. All thoughts and opinions are our own.   

2 comments:

  1. We do Switched On Schoolhouse and this is our second year and have just ordered for next year. My daughter will be in 8th grade next year. She went to a Christian school from preschool through fifth grade and loves homeschooling now. I'm a little concerned about homeschooling her through high school, so we will just see. We love learning on the laptop. She is a techno-geek like her daddy so it really fits her personality. Thanks for stopping by my blog again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Time4Learning with my kids and have for years. I agree with you that supplementing with other materials is a great idea...things like handwriting and some hands-on science experiments work well for us. But my kids really love the independent work they can do on T4L, and overall I'm a big fan of this program. For the price, you can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!