Friday, November 14, 2014

Weekly Wrap-up: Week 10 - Trying to Focus

EVERYDAY LIFE
I decided to learn to crochet. I enjoy learning something new, especially a handicraft. I found tutorials to help teach me the basics. (Visit the Crochet Guru here.) Her videos include left-handed instructions. Woot! It's a bit challenging to do things the "left way" with right-hand tutorials. This week I made a dishcloth. Next up? A simple beanie hat...I hope.

I needed to find some way to use up 10 pounds of strawberries from the freezer. I found on Pinterest a recipe for making strawberry jam in a BREAD MACHINE here. (I never did notice the "jam" cycle button before...) The results? Awesome lower-sugar strawberry freezer jam!


We got sticking snow; snow that doesn't melt on contact with the ground. Not a lot, but enough to let me know that we need to finish up our winter prep (i.e. putting the outdoor furniture, lawn mower and grill away). It's on our To Do List today.


MENU
• Baked Chicken Tenders, Teriyaki Rice & Peas • Pepperoni and Cheese Pizza • Vegetable Beef Stew & Rolls • Baked Pork Chops, Mac n Cheese & Apples • Taco Salad • Cereal, Skim Milk & Fruit 

HOMESCHOOL HAPPENINGS
It was hard for us to focus on our schooling this week. Not that it wasn't productive, but it was a struggle for ALL of us to get started and hit most of our subjects every day. Some weeks are like that, right? I think we were thrown off by a super busy (but fun weekend) and Jake being home from public school Monday and Tuesday (due to teacher's workshop and Veteran's Day).


Sam spent a lot of time redesigning his popsicle stick boat filled with expanding foam, even painting it. (I drew the line at HOUSE paint though...) It floats, but it's wobbly so he continues to make modifications, testing buoyancy in the bathtub.


Cati
Infinitives as Subjects, Phrases & Clauses. Wattpad Creative Writing
Rate Word Problems, Equivalent & Addition-Subtraction Rules for Equations, Rectangular Coordinations
Erosion & Deposition: Weathering, Run-off, Moving Water, Glaciers, Waves & Wind
Early Crete, the Minoans, the Mycenaeans, the Dorians, Greek Dark Ages
Walking

Sam
Sara Teasdale Poetry, Wrote  Biography Poem, Grade Spelling Weeks 26-33, Story Settings, Main Topics in Stories, Adverbs, Quotation Marks
"Some Went Away" Word Problems, Fraction Pictures, Repeated Addition for Multiplication & the Multiplication Table
Earthquakes: Measuring Seismic Waves, Damage Caused By, Protecting Against
Early Crete, the Minoans, the Mycenaeans, the Dorians, Greek Dark Ages
Biking

READING and VIEWING
Lilly's Ghost (Drake Harris) (Me) • The Hobbit (Tolkien) (Cati) • The Story of Davy Crockett, Frontier Hero (Retan) (Sam) • Sea of Ice: The Wreck of the Endurance (Kulling) (Sam) Stuart Little (White) (Sam) •

PEOPLE and PLACES
 • Pie and Game Night with the S__'s (Me)  Thomas & Kids Visit (All) • Jazz & Concert Band Practice (Cati) • Cub Scouts (Sam)

A FAVORITE SOMETHING

Happy Homeschooling!


As always, special thanks to these weekly link-ups:
 photo 337a3ef2-b881-48f4-8a2c-9c69e457cb5b_zps8b6152cf.pngHomegrown LearnersWeird Unsocialized HomeschoolersHip Homeschool Moms

Don't forget to check out my other blog posts this week!
Memory  Monday: Our Pet Family
Tuesday Coffee Chat: Let It Go
Wednesday Hodgepodge: Veteran's Day

And check out these FREE on-line resources for YOUR homeschool!
Around the World Country Stamps for Geography
Circulatory System Notebook Pages

7 comments:

  1. Love the quote at the end! I love the snow photos, even though I know snow can be a pain after the initial wow. :-) My week hasn't been too productive either, but as you say, it happens. :-) Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your format - so organized and a thorough recap of your week.

    Your snow pictures are beautiful - stay warm!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not going to lie after I read the crotchet part I kinda skimmed the rest of your post because I was too excited to comment...I had no idea there was a left handed way....I have been trying to crotchet and its just so hard and awkward and I feel like I am making up my own way...I can not wait to check out the video link!! Thank you for sharing that! Now I will go read the rest of your post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you have snow! The hat is beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Popsicle stick pirate ship, it looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool hat! We've been crocheting this weekend and the snow is falling right now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Unfortunately, winter has arrived here too. The hat is adorable. Having two left handed kids who have complained about tutorials and such I can kind of understand your dilemma. Love your quote at the end, but it's so hard not to be right!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!