Sunday, June 2, 2013

Freedom and Time to JUST Play

There's ALWAYS something truly special about just letting the kids BE and DO without guidelines, without expectations, without conditions. It's inspiring to see what their minds will come up with. Sometimes even surprising! 

"Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity." - Kay Redfield Jamison (Contemporary American Professor of Psychiatry)

Now, this WASN'T surprising, but my Sam spent a WONDERFUL warm afternoon doing this:


Did you notice the socks over the pant legs? :laugh: A creative way to make sure your pant legs do not get stuck in the spokes of your bikes while riding. That poor, poor bike has been taken apart and reassembled numerous times!

And he also did this:


I'm not sure you can see his facial expressions in these photos, but he was so INTO his imaginative play that he was making different machinery sounds for each of the construction vehicles.

I could watch him, with a smile, all day. His contentment and happiness is contagious!

"Play energizes us and enlivens us. It eases our burdens. It renews our natural sense of optimism and opens us up to new possibilities." - Stuart Brown, M.D. (Contemporary American Psychiatrist)

7 comments:

  1. I always enjoy watching my kids get into playing as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So great! As I am sitting here reading this, Eli has the living room and dining room filled with airplanes, tanks, helicopters, and such and his play acting some kind of "war". He is totally into it! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is what is missing in many children's lives now - play. They are on ipods, ipads, eboxes, TV... but not letting the imagination roam.
    Love this.
    Blessings,
    Janis www.janiscox.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, I thought I'd lost you. I've been traveling then I came back and couldn't find you. YAY I FOUND YOU!
    Sorry - on to your post... lol
    I pray that more people will "get this".
    It is VERY hot here in Texas, so we go outside for bits at a time.
    But we play... My son would sit on electronics if I let him.
    But - we don't.
    Great post. hugs...
    em

    ReplyDelete
  5. Play is so important! We always make sure that there is plenty of time for play. Great photo collages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. He's having a great time! Love that quote at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE LOVE LOVE ... that is our life motto! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!