Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Cooking Up Some...Pain au Chocolat

So, I'm reading the book How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal. It's about a bakery shop owner who's pregnant daughter goes off to Germany to attend her injured soldier-husband while her step-granddaughter moves in after her Mom is taken away for drug-abuse. Its an enjoyable read (even though it might sound complicated)...and includes some recipes!

I decided to give the Easy Pain au Chocolat pastries a try, remembering them from my visit to Quebec years and years ago. And they were a BIG hit with my family and SO EASY!

Ingredients:
2 sheets of thawed frozen puff pastry
1 large egg beaten with 1 t water
12 oz of bittersweet chocolate chips
sugar for dusting

Directions:
Lightly spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray. Cut each sheet of puff pastry into 12 pieces and brush with egg wash.  Sprinkle 1/2 oz of chocolate chips (or about 8) onto each piece. Roll up each piece and place edge down on the cookie sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. Refrigerate remaining egg wash.  Remove rolls from fridge and preheat oven to 400 degrees. Brush each roll with egg wash and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool 10-15 minutes. Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Stop tempting me with deliciousness!! I'm having a hard time trying to justify this one on my diet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm....!!!! These sound yummy!! I'll have to check if I still have some puff pastry in my freezer from Christmas, if I do, this would make a yummy afternoon treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered your blog and this is the first post I read.....oh, I'm hooked. Thanks for this delicious idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These little sweets were QUITE good! And VERY easy! My family suggested semi-sweet chocolate next time, but I'm partial to dark and bittersweet. Granulated sugar might be better on top rather than regular sugar as well. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!