Thursday, May 7, 2015

Weekly Wrap-up: Week 30 - A Glimpse of Summer

Oh, with temperatures like these how could we possibly focus on homeschooling this week? Stay cooped up inside, pouring over adverbs and fractions? No way!


So, we walked along the causeway near the lake, soaking up the sun's warm rays, and enjoyed a picnic lunch under the bridge. And went kayaking for the first time this season. (Why yes! the water is quite cold still!)


Jake spotted a young snapper in the yard one afternoon. Although we were excited to watch it meander along towards the brook, the turtle didn't seem thrilled with our presence. It's hard to think of something 4 inches long ferocious, but it tried to intimidate us with it's snapping and hissing. (We kept a respectful distance of course.)


Years ago the kids' friend pulled this MONSTER from our brook. This one? Very much intimidating!



Despite kayaking and building of a new tree house, finishing up outside spring cleaning, and watching movies at night, Language Arts and Math were completed most days for Sam and Cati worked on her Maine Studies research paper. We're down to just a few lessons to finish out the year!

Who's planning for next year? With my portfolio reviews being scheduled for this month, I've started to think more about next year. I'm almost done deciding on curriculum...Suggestions for a FREE on-line high school health curriculum? Over the summer I'll tweak the details, determined learning goals, and snag the rest of supplies needed.



As always, special thanks to these bloggers for their weekly wrap-ups:
 photo 337a3ef2-b881-48f4-8a2c-9c69e457cb5b_zps8b6152cf.pngHomegrown LearnersWeird Unsocialized HomeschoolersHip Homeschool Moms

Happy Homeschooling! I'll be posting my next weekly wrap-up as a MRS...

13 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have made the decision to continue schooling Sam and Cati at home. Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the plan! My spouse-to-be is supportive of me continuing to homeschool the kids, although I am planning to work very part-time as well. My kids are older now and responsible enough to do some independent learning on their own. It'll be an interesting year for sure!

      Delete
  2. The weather has been lovely. Yes, I have been thinking about next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How're you, Phyllis? The weather has much improved since our long cold winter! I think we're due for a warm spring and less humid summer...It's been AWESOME to get back outside again!

      Delete
  3. Looks like the perfect day! Have a great weekend!
    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill! Thanks for stopping by. I hope your weekend is GREAT too!

      Delete
  4. Wow. That's some pleasant weather. Good luck on the reviews and I hope you all find the right curriculum. We're thinking a lot about next year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, anything over 60 and sunny I'll take! 80s are a tad bit too hot, but perfect for swimming at the lake...and for the garden we just planted. Grow, veggies, grow! I'm sure I'll get everything worked out for next year. I'm still undecided about Cati's health and Sam's science...Or rather I know what I would like but need more economical choices. ;)

      Delete
  5. Will you be homeschooling your stepkids as well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah! My stepkids live with their Mom and attend public schools. My oldest son goes to a special charter school. So...I will only be homeschooling my daughter (8th/9th) and youngest son (5th) this coming year.

      Delete
  6. Snappers are definitely ferocious!! I hope you have had a wonderful Mother's Day!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. , I read few articles on this site and I think that your web blog is real interesting and Power to the People of excellent information.
    Keep up the excellent work

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Please share your thoughts in the comment box. We love hearing from our visitors!